Sunday, August 17, 2008

'Ota 'Ika ( Raw Fish in Coconut milk)




  • 1 fresh mullet or a piece of tuna(filleted)

  • 2 lemons

  • 2 cups of coconut milk
  • onion (or spring onions)
  • 1-2 tomatoes
  • 1 green pepper
  • 1/4 lettuce (optional)

  • salt to taste


Procedure:
1. Place the boneless meat in a clean bowl

2. Cut the lemons and squeeze the juice all over the fish, making
sure the meat is well soaked in lemon juice.

3. Cover the bowl for an hour or an hour and a half
(depends on how much meat marinated)

4.Remove the boneless fish from the lemon juice, place it
on the cutting board and cut into small cubes.

5. Place all cubes in a clean bowl, chop the onion, tomato
green pepper and the lettuce and add to the fish.

6. Add coconut milk and stir everything in the bowl with a wooden spoon.

7. Chill in the fridge while preparing the rest of the meal.

8. Salt to taste

Tip: Serve with cooked green bananas, taro, yams or sweet potatoes.
Chill before serving.






3 comments:

devri said...

Oh my goodness, I haven't been on here for awhile. Sorry- I love it, I want to think you did this one just for me, but we all know I am just le'o vale..hee hee

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! did I say thank you?

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vaitai 6 said...

and ANOTHER YUMMMMM!!!! This is BY FAR my FAV poly food. I could live off of this and a little haka. No joke! lol!

Celeste Brash said...

Hey I just discovered your blog and I'm hooked! This raw fish recipe is a lot like our Tahitian poisson cru but we don't marinate it as long and it's more of a free standing salad than a soupy dish. You can find my recipe on my blog http://coconutradio.blogspot.com.