Monday, July 21, 2008

Hawaiian Shrimp Curry




1 c. boiling water

2 c. grated coconut, unsweetened
1/2 c. minced onion
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp curry powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp fresh or dried gingerroot chopped
2 c milk
3 c cooked shrimp
  • Pour boiling water over the coconut several times until the water becomes white, let it sit while you continue with the recipe, then strain, saving the water.
  • In a heavy pan, cook onion in butter until tender; stir in flour and curry powder, salt, sugar and spice. Blend well;


  • Add milk and prepared coconut water. Cook, stirring frequently until smooth and thick.

  • Stir in shrimp.


  • Serve over hot cooked rice, or mixed with rice as a casserole.

5 comments:

devri said...

Yum- I am so glad to have found this sweet blog, thanks, my husband is always wanting me to learn new tongan food, know how to make Ota Ika, feel free to check out my blog, I have to many Tongans in my house not to learn all this great recipes,, thanks.

My_Kids_Mum said...

This is awesome! I'm a Poly who can't cook Poly food... thanks to your site, I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for the blog link to your family store. I live in UT Co. and I'm definitely going to take a trip up there to get my fill (and maybe even impress my family when they come into town to visit). Are the hot plates still $8.50?

The Mama Hood said...

Hey My kids mum! I know what you mean, that's why I made this because I am still in the learning process myself! I will have to check on the price of the plates for you, when my in-laws are back from church. Have a wonderful day!

The Mama Hood said...

Hey Devri! I will get a recipe for that as soon as I can! Have a nice week!

Adhis said...

I can't wait to try this out!