Sunday, May 4, 2008

Macaroni Salad..(as Requested)

Source:

  • 1 or 1/2 bag Elbow Mac ( follow cooking directions)
  • 1/2 med yellow onion ( mince very fine)
  • 1/2 med celery stalk (mince very fine)
  • 1 med carrot (shredded)
  • 1 small can slice olives (optional)
  • 1/2-1 tsp of each: black pepper, garlic salt, celery salt
  • celery seed; or to taste
  • 1 cup BEST FOODS MAYONAISE or to taste
  • (I prefer this and I do not use other mayo but that brand)
  • 2 Dashes of Curry powder or 1/2 tsp (secret ingredient)
Procedure:
Boil macaroni and drain, Rinse under cool running water, drain, and transfer to a large bowl. Stir in all remaining ingredients, adding more mayonnaise as needed.
Cover and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.

3 comments:

. . . Dallas Meow . . . . >^^< . . . said...

ahh very similar to mine except for carrot - and curry!
sounds delish.
I do also add chopped egg sometimes.
I have found curry is the secret ingredient why everyone loves my chicken broccoli :)

Naomi said...

I always thought the secret was using Japanese mayonnaise, like Kewpie brand... I'll try this, though!

Ursala, Patrick and Gabriel said...

Thank you-thank you! We used to live in California and would frequent the doors of a little tiny restaurant called the Hawaiian Drive-in. It was run by a chinese couple and they made the BEST macaroni salad, and I could never figure it out. This recipe is pretty much spot-on!

I made it as the recipe said and it was delicious! I made one minor adjustment...only because we like it to be a little creamier, so I added a little milk and rice vinegar. We chilled overnight and it was YUMMY!

Thanks so much for sharing!