Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Spam Musubi




Spam Musubi
Recipe courtesy of: Corinne Domingo

Ingredients:

3 cups cooked rice, room temperature
5 sheets nori, cut in half lengthwise
1 (12 oz.) can Spam
6 tbsp soy sauce
4 tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
4 tbsp sugar
Furikake(Rice Seasoning)to taste



Directions:

Cut Spam into 10 slices. Fry until slightly crispy. Remove and drain
on plate lined with paper towels. In another pan, combine soy sauce, Rice wine vinegar and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce to low. Add Spam slices, coating them in the mixture. When mixture has thickened, remove Spam from pan.

Lay a sheet of nori lengthwise on a clean surface. Moisten lower half of musubi maker (see Note),
and place on lower third of nori. Fill musubi maker with rice and press flat until the rice is
3/4-inch high. Sprinkle rice with furikake. Top with slice of Spam. Remove musubi maker and keep in a bowl of warm water to keep it clean and moist.

Starting at the end towards you, fold nori over Spam and rice stack, and keep rolling until
completely wrapped in the nori. Slightly dampen the end of the nori to seal it. Repeat with the
other nine Spam slices, making sure to rinse off musubi maker after each use to prevent it from
getting too sticky.

Note: You can also use an empty Spam can that has been opened on both sides for the musubi mold, using your hands (or a piece of Spam) to press down on the rice.



6 comments:

Pineapple Princess said...

Shhhhhh, don't tell the whole world how yummy this is or spam will become more expensive than it already is!

I'm so hungry. I wish you were my neighbor. I know you would share with me. I would even take the rejects.

*Heather* said...

OMG OMG OMG!! I love me some Spam Musubi!!! I miss living in Hawaii so I could just go down to my local safeaway & buy one! In Cali we had L&L hawaiian BBQ and theres was pretty awesome too. BUT I MISS HAWAII!! can u make me some?! hehe

the mama hood said...

Pineapple princess- I know! I am so craving some right now!

Heather: How cool that you lived there, my hubby did too. I know Spam Musubi is the best! Sure I will e-mail you some musubi! lol!

Adam & Leesha Wickern said...

aahhh AMAZING!! I have looked forever for this recipe! Thanks! Hey, do you have a Katsu Chicken recipe?

Amanda said...

My honey taught me how to make this, just so he could beg me to make it all the time! =) He was an island white boy growing up. He has Aloha Shoyu on rice daily.

Puanani503 said...

oh wow..I luv this stuff!!!
Thanks for the recipe,
You're awesome, Happy New
Years..Cheers!