Monday, February 25, 2008

My Mama's Watermelon Otai Recipe








ʻOtai is a fruit drink which originated in Tonga and is usually made as a summertime refreshment. It is a blend of water, coconut milk and any variety of pulped tropical fruit such as coconut, watermelon, mango and pineapple but is almost always watermelon as it is plentiful in Tonga. A small amount of sugar may be added, although the recipe is considerably sweet on its own.

The most popular variation is a simple blend of coconut milk, watermelon and mango. Ice cubes might also be added to make a sort of smoothie.


Definition Source: Wikipedia



Mama's Watermelon Otai


Ingredients:



1 Ripe Seedless Watermelon halved and sliced
1 can of Crushed Pineapples
1/2 cup of shredded coconut
1 can of Evaporated milk
1/2 Cup Sugar
Water
Ice Cubes

1/2 a fresh lime squeezed 

Directions:

In a large bowl grate watermelon with a fork making sure melon is not in huge chunks. (If you don't use a seedless watermelon make sure that most of the black seeds are removed with a spoon)

Add Pineapple and it's juices, Coconut, Evaporated Milk, and two cans of water using the can of milk. Stir.

Add Sugar and stir add more to taste. I love to add fresh lime squeezed into it. It just brightens up the taste

and gives it a good balance.  Add Ice Cubes and Serve.

Serves: The whole family and then some....

7 comments:

Alice Wills Gold said...

Wow...this looks good too..I love smoothies...girl, I am going to come after you if I start gaining weight with all these good recipes!

Birdie said...

looks pretty & sounds tasty - these ingredients are going on my Wal-mart list

Ma'ila Auwen said...

I really want to try this recipe! I also wanted to say that I really enjoy the song you posted by your niece Analea Brown, does she have a webpage or is she selling her music anywhere? I would love to get this song!

Derek said...

I lived with Tongans in Sacramento, and they made it with fruit cocktail instead of the pineapple. I'll have to try it this way

Falamoe said...

HI there,

am Tongan and live in Germany. Have you ever done the 'otai before with an additional taste of alcohol in it? Maybe rum or any liquer? Would love to hear your opinion!

Than you!
Falamoe

Anonymous said...

Thanks....

Im a Tongan in hawaii, could not for the life of me get a hold of someone who had the recipe, in the time frame that i had to make it in! Everyone I asked knew the ingredients but didnt know the proportions of each. Thanks for posting it!

It tasted awesome! This is a very good recipe... I also used your Mango Otai recipe... very good also!

Thanks again! il

Lori said...

My tongan neighbors shared this drink with me and I was amazed at how refreshing it is on a hot summer day. Its delicious!!!